Pages

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Buried Treasure: The Art on My Door Project


Update: Check out the entire set of Art on My Door (now more than 260 pieces), and be sure to visit Seth Apter's The Altered Page Buried Treasure to find a collection of amazing art blogs.

From 1/22/11
I moved into a new office in a different building this week, and upon arrival, I noticed this little card frame on the door:
Intended originally to hold cards posting faculty office hours, these little frames hold little value to non-faculty such as myself. Or do they?
I felt inspired by the tiny frame to kick off a new art project.
I'm aiming to create a new tiny artwork measuring just 3"x2" each workday to slip into the little frame on my door.
So far, I've created two new pieces, and I have to say that I am having fun with this project. I am finding that making the art helps me separate myself from the stress of work at the end of the day by creating something fun and whimsical. Additionally, the new art increases my enthusiasm for going to work because I have something new to share.
Below are the first two works in this project:
Day #1: Still needed to work out the dimensions of the frame

Day #2: Got the dimensions right. I love this striped mermaid.

9 comments:

  1. What a clever, creative and cool idea. I am so glad you "dug this up" for the Buried Treasure project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, I love this idea! I will check out all the other 'door art' pieces you made now(hm... going through Seth's buried treasure list is going to take me days when I keep on doing that with everyone, but never mind - I'm having fun and find a lot of inspiration. Thanks!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Fun! I too will check out your other door art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! That would make me look forward to coming to work, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! Thanks for sharing. I'll need to check out the other doors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great idea, thanks for sharing this post at the Treasury :-)I also had a look at the Art at my Door, some great stuff. Will spend some time going over it with a fine tooth comb when i have a bit more time. ps love the nerdy photo! too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visiting from Seth's, and I love your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to use that conveniently framed space on your door. Love what you've done.

    ReplyDelete