Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Art on My Door -- A daily practice

Art on My Door: Day #54The frameArt on My Door: Day #1Art on My Door: Day #2Art on My Door: Day #3Art on My Door: Day #4
Art on My Door: Day #5Art on My Door: Day #6Art on My Door: Day #7Art on My Door: Day #8Art on My Door: Day #9Art on My Door: Day #10
Art on My Door: Day #11Art on My Door: Day #12Art on My Door: Day #13Art on My Door: Day #14Art on My Door: Day #15Art on My Door: Day #16
Art on My Door: Day #17Art on My Door: Day #18Art on My Door: Day #19Art on My Door: Day #20Art on My Door: Day #21Art on My Door: Day #22
Art on My Door, a set on Flickr.
So, I'm one day away from reaching 365 tiny (2" x 3") pieces of art created for the small card frame on my office door.

It's important to note that it has taken almost exactly two years to get to this point, the art being made only for days when I came in to my office to work. That means weekends, vacations, telecommuting days, and sick days have made up half of the last two years of my life.

I started the practice nearly two years ago when a series of events combined to create a gigantic opening in my life for more art and more creativity. I had agreed to host a one-day exhibit of "Leaving Dakota," a photography project from the amazing Kyle Cassidy. I was also moving into a new office with two significant features, a large, empty white wall that made a lovely home for the exhibit, and a small brass business card-sized frame on the door that just I just couldn't bring myself to treat as something boring or mundane. Thus, Art on My Door was born.

Looking back over the collection, I am struck by the variety in my own work, born from my willingness to try new techniques and embrace new media. I love to mix things up, so collage and watercolor and even a couple of 3D projects feature prominently.

I'm also happy with the mix of abstract and representational art. I enjoy playing with lines, doodling and "taking a line for a walk" as Paul Klee described the act of drawing.

I don't think I'm going to stop making art now that I've reached this milestone.

In fact, I don't think I can. The act of making has become an integral part of my daily meditation practice, a way I center myself and find some joy even in the most stressful or depressing days.

Art is powerful. It can heal you. I know this to be true.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like we re-discovered our brushes around the same time! What a great practice, and essay!

    ReplyDelete